Monday 5 September 2011

Slow to quick

Stretching days.......

Dogs lying in the sun...playing while they lie on the warm ground.



Children outside all day.

The days are starting to get markedly longer.

By the time I even start to look at the clock to think of cooking it is usually past our usual dinner time.

Woops.

Luckily as we swing from one season to the next the things we desire for dinner changes from long slow cooked meals to meals that are quick and lighter in ingredients.

Last night was one of those nights.

The day had been full.

And dinner needed to be quick.

Hungry little birds with mouths wide and expectant.


Here's what I cooked.

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S YAKISOBA NOODLES:
I LOVE noodles.  Like really really LOVE them.  I love noodle soups, noodle stir fries, cold noodles, breakfast noodles.....you get the picture!
I only started cooknig these a little while ago.  I think they are one of the easier of noodle dishes to cook.  The simple mix of ingredients (Japanese simplicity) makes them a winner for fussier eaters.  

I tend to add chilli to mine......but it is not very traditional to do so....I just can't help myself.
Last night I also made some Char Siu(Chinese BBQ pork) so I added that too but I normally just use chicken. My recipe for Char Siu is here. 
I usually have dried noodles of MANY varieties in my pantry as I can't bear to run out.  You can substitute fresh noodles here too. If using dry noodles prepare them and have them ready to go when you start the recipe. The thin Hokkien noodles would work too- these are readily available in the supermarket these days.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 1 packet Soba noodles
  • 350g chicken thigh fillet, cut into strips
  • 2 carrots, julienned
  • 1 onion sliced 
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 spring onion, chopped finely 
  • qtr head of Wombok cabbage cut finely
  • 4 tblspoons soy
  • 1 tblspoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
  • canola oil for frying
METHOD:
Toast sesame seeds lightly by dry roasting them in a shallow non stick fry pan on a medium heat.
It is best to make a larger batch and keep them in an airtight container. Slice the onions.
Julienne the carrots and cut the spring onions & Wombok.
Slice the chicken.
In a small bowl mix the soy, sugar and sesame oil. Place in a microwave for a few seconds to warm through. Stir well.
Pour over chicken.


Heat your wok to smoking point.  Add oil carefully.
Add the chicken and stir till cooked.  Remove and set aside in a bowl.
Now fry the onions tills soft and add add all other vegetables except the spring onions.
Stir and then add noodles and the chicken and all its juices.
Add the spring onions and toss well.


Remove and sprinkle sesame seeds over each serve.

Today's listening pleasure is a new fave.....S U B L I M E. Hope you think so too. You know some people are born with outrageously fantastic talents....I am so thankful for this:

1 comment:

  1. YUM! This looks like a potential Hit Meal here in this house! Will have to try it out, defo.

    Gorgeous song too, thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx