Close your eyes and Imagine a while.
- a world where people judged each other by the goodness of their hearts & not by the way they looked
- a world where people stopped in the street and smiled at each other
- a world where we praised each other for effort and not end results
- a world where physical exercise was just part of our normal activity and not a scheduled part of our day
- a world where we asked questions without being made to feel a fool
- a world wherever we went we could just start talking to the person next to us without being judged as crazy
- a world where we saw beyond religious beliefs & cultural differences and just saw the person
- a world where we looked out for everyone else and not just ourselves
- a world where we stopped sometimes to just be
- a world where the biggest problem we had was how to catch our shadow
It exists already.
It is Childhood.
GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S TOFFEE APPLE CAKE:
This cake ends up with an amazing crunchy top like eating Toffee Apples and underneath is a moist apple cake.
I used this recipe as a base but I had to tinker with it.
There were things I didn't have or didn't like. Like the one hundred and eleventy billion gallons of jam for instance....eeeeew!
SO here is my version.
And it tastes so much better with a little childhood mixed in.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 5 organic Apples, peeled cored & sliced into wedges
- 2 1/4 cups Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 300g organic butter
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped and added
- 1 tblspn Baking Powder
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 teaspn ground Cinnamon (and a little extra for dusting)
- 7 organic eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of water
Preheat oven to 170C.
Grease and line a 25cm springform tin.
Place 4 of sliced apples over the base and dust a little cinnamon over. Reserve the other apple to add to cake batter.
Place 1 Cup of the sugar and the 3/4 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir till the sugar is dissolved. Then STOP stirring and watch for the sugar to turn Golden Brown. (Look here for my instructions on making Caramel)
Once the sugar has become a golden brown, take off the heat immediately and pour gently over the apples.
In a cake mixer, mix butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
Add eggs one by one.
Add eggs one by one.
Add Ground Almond, flour & baking powder.
Now add the milk, vanilla seeds and cinnamon.
Turn off the mixer and stir through the remaining apple.
Pour batter over toffee apple in the cake tin.
Let the little people lick the bowl.
Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Then cover with baking paper & continue to bake for 45 minutes.
Let stand in the tin for ten minutes before removing.
Best eaten slightly warm but will keep in a sealed container in the fridge.
Todays track is from a band I had been listening to all week on high rotation. A very lovely friend messaged it to me to listen to when the kids sickness was getting all a bit much. It totally cheered me up.
We are totes on the same page with our music! Shazam! Music twinsies.
What a lovely thought. Songs can totally cheer me up. What about you? Does music cheer you up?
Now I am sharing it with you......and it is ONLY about my most favourite thing of all..... LOVE.