Friday 2 August 2013

The Family Table. Part 8. Bianca Wordley from BigWords


A couple of years ago when I first started writing this blog I thought about what it was that I wanted to share.

It started as a way of me sharing my food knowledge and my passion for preparing real food for our families.

More importantly though I like to think that I give people the confidence to appreciate that the magic that is the Family dining experience is NOT just about the food.

While the food is what draws us to the table it should be considered but ONE of many things that are shared and indeed NOT the most important one.

LOVE to me should always be the single most important ingredient that is shared at our family table. Without LOVE the food and the entire dining experience is just another meal. But with it our souls as well as our tummies are nourished.

It is with this in mind that on Fridays I will be sharing with you my new series- The Family Table- where super special guests share their family dining experiences with us. It is a way of appreciating that there are infinite ways of dining together.
My wish is that every single one of my readers makes The Family Table part of their own family life.

I am so excited about this series and have some of my very favourite family sorts lined up to share with us their Family Table experiences over the coming weeks.

Today I am sharing with you another blogger and lady of lovely who lives in my home town of Adelaide. She has a talent with words amongst other things, I always love to read her take on things. She is super clever, savvy and super nice. She juggles her writing commitments with being a mum to three young girls.

We like to hang out at the back of blog conferences together like the naughty kids at the back of the bus.

You might know her blog Big Words- if not skip on over here to read it.
Recently Bianca and her family purchased a vintage Caravan named Audrey which she sometimes uses as an office. I want one too!







Over to Bianca ~
1).Can you please share a little about how your family shares food?
Our family is not a “sit down and eat together” type – we break all the parenting rules. Occasionally we give it a go – you know Sunday roast and all that, but with our kids so little still it generally ends up with someone shouting at someone else. At the moment, our only hard and fast rule is do what gets us through the night happy. Most nights we eat in front of the TV, sometimes our kids eat in their room, sometimes we go to the park with a big bag of chips and eat on the grass. Lately, we’ve been eating in the driveway. Yep, you heard right – our driveway. We recently got a retro caravan and when we are not traveling in it, we sit in it or by eat and eat meals. It makes us feel like we’re on holidays, when we’re not.

2).Do you have hard & fast eating rules?

Our kids have different tastes; two will eat anything, one will eat nothing. My husband and I tend to go from eating way too much junk to being super-healthy. We need to find a better balance. Food should be all about great flavours, fresh produce and, most importantly, have a sense of playfulness about it.

3).Can you share with us where your cooking influences/inspiration are from?

I am not the cook in the house. I do like baking cakes, biscuits and have tried my hand at bread, but I suppose you can say my biggest influence is my husband. He is amazing in the kitchen and a really patient teacher.

4).Do you have a favourite cuisine?

I find it hard to go past Indian, Italian and authentic Asian flavours, but if you put a schnitzel, mash and a slice of lemon in front of me I am at my happiest!

5).Can you recall a super special meal or eating experience that has stayed with you forever?
Fresh marina pasta in a little restaurant perched atop rocks, in a bay in the Cinque Terre. It was our honeymoon. I’ll never forget it.

6). Would you please share the recipe of your favourite family meal with us?

Pancakes would have to be one of our favourites, but we also love this little gem.


Roasted banana splits with chocolate:

(You can cook these in the oven, but we do them on the BBQ or campfire)

Cut your banana down the middle (not all the way through).



Sprinkle choc buds or chunks of dark chocolate down the centre.


Wrap in alfoil.

Bake until the bananas are soft and the chocolate has melted - the more gooey the better.



If you don’t like chocolate, you can cook the banana and then drizzle it with honey and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

Serve hot with thickened cream or ice cream.
Simple, delicious and fun!


7). What song would be playing at the dinner table?
I Love It – Icona Pop

I am so grateful that you joined my Family Table, thankyou  Bianca. xxxx

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for asking us over to your place. It is a truly lovely place to be xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Bianca & her Bigwords!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cath @mybeardedpigeon2 August 2013 at 11:55

    Same here!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow love this ,this family is so cool and Bianca i like your easy going ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BabyMacBlogBeth2 August 2013 at 20:28

    Love that girl, her ladies and her spunkrat husbie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh how very kind of you two lovely ladies xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only just discovered Bianca's awesome blog. And now I like her even more because Bianca likes schnitzel and mash potato too! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx