Friday 9 May 2014

Date, Banana & Coconut cake


A while ago on this blog I wrote a post about how me and baking are not friends.

It's true.

I know! there really are things I am not super in love with in the kitchen.
Baking and all it's 'wear your skirt at the knees, hair tied in bows' kind of school rules are just not my thing.

I've always been a kind of 'do it my way' kind of gal. You can see it in the way I dress. Everyday I am in mismatching patterns and colours that others may tell you don't go together. Pffffft to that. I love colour and I love patterns and I love to wear them all at once.

So when I bake I just kind of have a go and see what happens in my 'do it my way' kind of style.

Often there are mistakes- because well really, baking does involve science and rules that kind of need to be adhered to. Dang it.

So the other day when I first made this cake,  the result was a little well......moist. I did some tweaking and the second one was delish!

I had bananas in the fruit bowl that were going brown and didn't want to make my usual banana loaf.

Here is what I made.

DATE, BANANA & COCONUT CAKE:

What you will need:

  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 2 cups SR Flour
  • 1 cup chopped dates
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 tsp bi-carb soda
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut (plus a little extra to pop on top)
  • 1 cup raw sugar
  • 2 eggs
Method:

Preheat oven to 170C.

Place dates and water in a small saucepan and bring to boil.  Add bi-carb, stir and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl mash bananas. Add eggs, coconut, dates, sugar and flour and mix well.

Grease and line a 25 square cake tin.

Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top of cake and place in oven for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Dust with icing sugar and serve.

Delicious still warm!

2 comments:

  1. I am making this now to Radiohead.
    Thank you GG

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i never knew you and baking weren't super friends! Me and anything asian cooking are definitely not friends which is why I admire your cooking so much. I love the sound of this cake…all those delicious combinations….just a bit like mis-matched patterns hey! Have a lovely Sunday too xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx