Monday 2 June 2014

How to make your own Muesli bars

I posted a pic of my Homemade Muesli bars on Instagram and had quite a few peeps call out for me to post my recipe.

I am not keen on the shop bought ones.

I am not a fan of all the ooky extras that seem to get put in packaged foods.

I am not an anti-sugar person - we eat sugar in our house, but I am not a fan of any over processed foods.

Let it be known loud and proud right here that some nights I serve Ice-cream for dinner here at my house.

*GASP*

I know right?!
S U C H a REBEL!

I mean why wait for dessert some nights when the day has been that bad. Cut your losses and go direct to the stuff nobody is going to turn down huh.
No arguments over ice-cream and tomorrow will be a new start.

I GIVE YOU PERMISSION to do it too!
Maybe tonight is the night!

You know what...... I don't really have a problem with my kids eating sugar.
What I do have a problem with is too much of anything too much of the time.

Too much sugar.
Too many numbers.
Too much fat.
Too much processing.

Be mindful by all means but maybe the obsessive ways are not the best tools we are giving our kids about decision making in anything.

I try really super dooper hard to make good decisions about the way we eat in our house.
We try to always eat food where we know its origins.
But that is not always possible. SO it doesn't always work out that way.
And that is OK.
We do our very best.
Just as I am sure everyone is doing.

But don't forget to have fun.
Fun is really really good.
And ever so underrated.

HOME MADE NUT FREE MUESLI BARS:
Keeping in mind what I have written above- these are not 'healthy' as such.
Really no muesli bar I know of is. Muesli yes. Muesli bars- not so much.
They are held together with a sugary buttery yumminess.
The difference with the homemade ones is there are no extra ooky numbers and preservative nonsense.

Ok- so here we go.
Super easy, super delicious and a TREAT!

I make my own muesli too- I just throw together a heap of ingredients I think will taste nice. No rules.
This batch was Oats, Puffed Quinoa, Sunflower seeds, Pepitas & sultanas- I often add nuts such as almonds or pistachios but I wanted to make school snacks and never make anything with Nuts because I am a BIG supporter of sending all nut-free food to school.
I don't have allergic children but I feel we all have a responsibility to the safety of the children around us.

This recipe is SO EASY your kids should really be making their own muesli bars!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 3 cups muesli (of your choice- I make my own as I talk about above)
  • 3/4 cup Golden syrup
  • 50g butter
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
METHOD:
Preheat oven to 175C.
Line a 20 x 30cm biscuit tray with baking paper.
In a small saucepan over medium heat melt butter, golden syrup and sugar till bubbling and sugar has dissolved.
Place Muesli into a large bowl and pour syrup over the top.
Mix well to make sure all the muesli is coated.
Spoon mix into biscuit tray and press down with the palm of your hand till evenly spread over tray.
You could add choc chips over the top at this point for an extra treat if you wish.
Place in oven for 20-30 mins or until going light brown.
Remove and let cool completely in tin before slicing into desired sizes.
I pop mine into an airtight container in layers separated by baking paper to keep for a few days.
Happy baking!
xx
GG

LOVING Sharon Van Etten's new album but particularly this track....

6 comments:

  1. Tops again.
    Love the new header, where have I been?
    Thank you as always, scrolling backwards to catch up on thoughts and recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words speak close to my heart Ruth, our family too is far from sugar free and its by no means my aspiration to be, but it is majority of the time numbers free. I think we owe it to ourselves and our children to know where our food comes from and what goes into it. I'm off to make a batch of these, they sound delicious - Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love the newsletter and all your fab foodie news! You are going great guns, and it's amazing to watch.

    Second - it's really weird that I came to this relaxed realisation myself this week, and then to see it here. I used to have this approach, but somehow recently got caught up in a whole heap of rules for myself. I now realise how uptight I was getting about what I could and couldn't eat. Part of that is a path I had to follow, to find out whether certain things were affecting my skin or causing migraines, but I'd lost something along the way. I completely agree with you: being mindful of what we eat and how it makes us feel is really important, but it's also important to just chill out a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making my own version of this - I think I have been boiling the sugar syrup too long on the hot plate as I keep ending up with it being crazy hard. I love how you can just chick in anything out of the pantry to make this - I have even thrown in some breakfast cereals from time to time. It's yummo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a batch in the oven and they smell amazing! Thanks for the recipe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks SO much Ruth, I've been thinking about my own museli bars for quite some time now!! You've saved me some Googling! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx