Monday 20 October 2014

Onion Rings (Indian style)


Who doesn't love a good ol' Onion Ring?

These delicious morsels , sometimes called Onion Bahji,  were initially made to sit atop other dishes as a garnish but have since become a lovely little snack in their own right.

They make the most wonderful accompaniment to any curry.

The Spring has me in a haze of hayfever that has kind of turned to a headcold.
There is a theory that a cut onion is the cure-all for a cough.
I was going for the 'ingest an onion' cure here!
In any case these made me feel better.

Such a tasty treat and with ingredients I always have readily at hand.

ONION RINGS (Indian Style):
I shallow fry these in a mix of Rice bran oil and Ghee to get the loveliest buttery flavour.
I served mine with a fave dipping sauce- Mint & Yoghurt Chutney.
These would make a great pre dinner nibble & are best served piping hot.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 2 onions sliced into 1 1/2 cm rings
  • 1 cup Chickpea (besan or gram ) flour
  • 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
  • water
  • 2 tablspoons rice bran oil & 2 tblspoons ghee
METHOD:

In a medium size bowl mix the flour and spices and salt.
Add chopped coriander and now water, little by little until you have what resembles a thick pancake batter.

It is ideal to let the batter rest (as you would to Pancake batter) but sometimes we just need to eat this stuff right?!

Add onion rings directly to this batter and mix through gently to coat.

Heat Oil & Ghee in a heavy pan to medium high heat.

Drop a little batter into the pan and if it sizzles you are ready to go!

Add a few onion rings at a time to the heated oil/ghee mix and fry till brown, turn and do same to other side.

Place onto paper towel and serve immediately.

I serve mine with Minted Yoghurt chutney which is made by blitzing 1/2 bunch mint, a knob of ginger, a teaspoon of sugar together and then adding 1/4 cup plain yoghurt together.





1 comment:

  1. My boyfriend is crazy for onion bahji! I might have to make this for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx