Thursday 21 May 2015

GG Kool Kids in the Kitchen Challenge

"Children are capable of so much more than we give them credit for."

This sentence is one I have used time & time again in my writing on this blog over the years.

Reading this article on the NY times today I found myself nodding in agreement.

We don't and have never paid our children to do chores either. I see them as a must-do part of living communally & not as something my children should be fiscally rewarded for. But rather as a way of teaching my children to recognise that we notice there are other people around us and we care about them. It's also about self care. I see my job as helping prepare my kids to be independent functioning members of society. These tasks are part of a normal functioning life. 
Learning how to cook good nutritious food is also part of that.
Somewhere along the way we have lost the understanding of how to cook.
We lean on 'quick' packaged options filled with nasties instead of maybe boiling an egg or whipping up a 10 minute pasta instead. 
We have lost sight of the fact that nutritious and delicious food can be quicker than lots of the packets out there.
We choose these because of a lack of simple skill sets.
I want to see this turned around.
I see it as URGENT.
We have a health crisis looming. One that will affect every single one of us. And we all need to be a a part of the solution.
And I believe it starts in our very own kitchen.



Getting this generation of kids in the kitchen is also one of the biggest motivating factors behind why I designed my Kool Kids Cooking pack.

Encouraging our kids into the kitchen at a young age is so so good for them- and for us. Teaching basic skills in the kitchen is the key to changing the disastrous health crisis hovering over us. This health crisis is all of our responsibility.  We all need to be part of the solution.  We are in this together. Learning how to make a pancake or biscuits develops into skills that will enable them to eventually be capable and confident enough to make an entire meal for the family.ON. THEIR. OWN.

From now until the end of June I want to see you getting your Kids in the Kitchen.
It will be messy.
It will be chaotic.
You may tear your hair out- but......

It will be an opportunity to spend focussed time with your children.
It will be an opportunity for you to teach your child new & important skills.
It will be an opportunity for you to start conversations about food and where it comes from.
It will be an opportunity for you to gift your child with a growing knowledge of independent and healthy living.
It will be FUN & 
It will be AWESOME.


Join me in a hashtag on Instagram with ‪#‎ggkoolkidsinthekitchen‬.
If you are not on Instagram then you can email me your contributions at gourmetgirlfriend (at) me (dot) com.


Get your kids cooking. Cooking biscuits, cooking pancakes, cooking cakes, rolling pasta, baking veggies, cooking dinner! Just get them in the kitchen cooking REAL food from SCRATCH. 

I am going to be giving away 4 of my Kool Kids packs (valued at $45.00 each) to 4 young people who take part in this activity (packs to be sent out at the end of June.)


You can look at the packs here ~ http://cleverclogscookingclasses.bigcartel.com/product/kool-kids-cooking-club-recipe-pack

And you can read the Terms & Conditions here .


1 comment:

  1. My two year old is the biggest fan of cooking & I love it. We had him & the 1 year old lady up at the stove watching popcorn pop last week & they thought it was hilarious. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx